There’s another weird thing on Mars, and Nasa really doesn’t know what it is this time.
But if anything, this is even weirder.
An image posted by Nasa on 30 January and taken with the right Mastcam on Curiosity shows what appears to be a 0.5cm metal spoke protruding out of a rock.
The strange sight – which looks a bit like a robotic arm – was noticed by imaging editor Elisabetta Bonora from Italy.
Whatever it is looks shiny, casts a shadow on the rock below and looks different to the rock it emerges from.
Universe Today speculates that it might be a different type of rock more resistant to erosion. Gizmodo instead wonders aloud whether it’s evidence of an alien death ship.
What do you think? Are you convinced this is proof of intelligent life on Mars, or just another boring thing in the dirt? (Which, by the way, isn’t red.)
- Mars: Evidence of a Past Life Supporting Environment
- Tax Dollars in Space: Live Feed to Mars Rover Landing
- First Image From Curiosity’s Arm Camera With Dust Cover Open
- NASA Battles Mars Conspiracy
- Researchers Investigate if Humans Descended from Mars
- Phoenix Mars Lander Mission Overview
- Spectacular Riverbed Discovered on Mars