Girl set ablaze for wearing lipstick
An 11yo girl was set on fire by a relative in India’s northern city of Jaipur for wearing lipstick and being “inappropriately dressed”, media reports said.
The girl suffered burns over 90 per cent of her body. Her chances of survival were bleak, police officers told the NDTV network on Saturday.
Police arrested her great uncle, who allegedly poured kerosene on the girl and set her ablaze on Friday.
Investigators told the PTI news agency that the 55-year-old man, a conservative Muslim, had told the police he was enraged at the girl wearing lipstick and being “scantily dressed”.
Among conservative Muslim communities, women are required to observe hijab, which means wearing clothing that covers the head and the body.
But relatives told news channels the man had tried to molest the girl and had set her on fire when she objected.
Neighbours came to her rescue, one of whom was also injured while trying to put out the flames, police said.
A case of attempted murder was registered against the accused.
Police are continuing investigations.
- Girls Father Refuses Her Marriage, Girl Gets Throat Cut
- Ann Coulter: Bombers Wife Should be Imprisoned for Wearing Religious Garb (Hijab)
- Brazil Club Fire Kills 245
- Muslim Preacher Urge’s Followers to Collect ‘Jihad Seeker’s Allowance’ (Welfare)
- Iraqi Girl “Suicide Bomber” Interrupted
- Is This Gay Muslim Risking Assassination?
- Israel and Syria Openly Exchange Fire